The Canadian Institutes of Health Research – Institute of Aging (CIHR- IA) and the Canadian Conference on Dementia (CCD), seek to encourage networking and exchange of ideas among emerging scholars working within all aspects of dementia. In particular, we would like to encourage interdisciplinary dialogue and cross-disciplinary exposure of research on dementia. To meet these ends this competition provides travel funds for masters and doctoral students, post-doctoral fellows, medical students, residents and fellows to attend the 10th CCD.
The CIHR will partner with the CCD to provide support for trainee travel awards.
Please note that this year there will be a limited number of awards with preference to those submitting research abstracts.
The maximum amount for a single award is $1,500.00 depending on the location of where the recipient is based.
Please see below for a breakdown:
- Residents of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan = up to $1,500 CAD
- Residents of Manitoba = up to $900 CAD
- Residents of Ontario = up to $500 CAD
- Residents of Québec = up to $500 CAD (Residents of the Greater Québec City Area are not eligible)
- Residents of Eastern Canada (NB, NS, PE, NL) = up to $800 CAD
Air: Awardees will be reimbursed for the most economical airfare available only. Air travel claims must include original boarding passes along with the e-ticket, or (if issued) the back coupon from a paper air ticket, when claim is submitted.
Train, buses and other transportation: Please provide original receipts and boarding passes.
Private vehicle: The mileage rate for travel by private automobile is $0.40 per km. The maximum reimbursement for vehicular travel may not exceed the comparable sum of air travel plus ground transportation costs.
Please include original receipt.
Original receipts are required.
Awardees will not be reimbursed for meals or incidental expenses
Application deadline: August 23rd, 2019
Anticipated date of notification: September 13th, 2019
This competition is open to Canadian citizens and landed immigrants working in Canada.
Application Must Include:
- A cover letter with an explanation of how attending will benefit your clinical and/or research career relating to dementia in Canada (maximum 2 pages).
- A copy of your curriculum vitae.
- Proposed travel itinerary and budget justification. Indicate other travel funds available and those for which you have applied.
- A letter of support from your supervisor, to include confirmation of enrolment in a graduate program, or confirmation of status as a post-doctoral fellow, at a recognized Canadian or American academic institution.
For medical students, residents and fellows, please provide a letter of support from your primary supervisor.
A committee consisting of CIHR and CCD appointees will evaluate the application based on the criteria stated below:
- Demonstrated academic excellence
- Benefit of attending the conference to the candidate's research and /or clinical career in dementia in Canada
- Justification of budget and financial need
Please email the completed applications by the deadline (August 23rd, 2019). Receipt of emails will be acknowledged.
Applicants receiving travel awards will be notified by September 13th, 2019.
Dr. Zahinoor Ismail
Call for Abstracts
Opens: February 15, 2019
Closes: June 28, 2019
Hotel Room Booking Deadline
September 3, 2019
10th CCD Conference
October 3-5, 2019
Québec City Convention Centre
Centre des congrès de Québec
1000 Boulevard René-Lévesque E.
Québec, QC G1A 1B4 Canada
Click here to subscribe to our communications list.